The term ‘metaverse’ was first introduced in 1992 by Neal Stephenson through his sci-fi novel calledSnow Crash. In his book, he described the metaverse as a digital world that exists alongside the real world. It could be said that ametaverse is a shared virtual space that is immersive, interactive, and hyper-realistic.
Nowadays, even when it is not fully developed yet, it is becoming a new reality bringing endless possibilities.
What does the metaverse consist of?
This new 3D version of the internet will likely berecorded on a blockchain where it will include valuable and customized digital assets and avatars.
We have to think about the metaverse bringing a broader experience than a videogame. If we take Fortnite as an example, users already have experience interacting with other players in their avatar forms while collecting virtual currency.
The game Second Life is also another relevant example as it lets players use their avatars to do ordinary things inside the game such as eat, shop, drive, interact with other avatars in real-time, and do all the things they would do in their real world. This type of experience is known as virtual reality.
Overall, it could be said that theMetaverse consists of artificial intelligence, AR, VR, 5G, blockchain, and Web3 technologies.
Employment in Economy 3.0
The projection of the metaverse has a high value because it is considered to be a key driver for the growth and development of the digital economy worldwide. In fact, it is already being considered the future for education, gaming, entertainment, and even employment.
It is this last point in we are going to deepen in this article.
Future jobs in the metaverse
The social media platform Facebook which changed its name to Meta inspired by this revolutionary new way of reality has already announced its intentions of generating around ten thousand high skills jobs in the European Union (EU) to stimulate the growth of the metaverse. But, it is not only Facebook betting on the metaverse, several companies are doing it too.
Unlike Web 2.0 which involves mobile technologies such as the Internet of Things (IoT), the metaverse is making a path forWeb 3.0, a decentralized Internet-based on blockchain technology. Therefore, new IT and hybrid job opportunities are being created as they require both technical and non-technical skills. Some of the job roles to keep an eye out for are:
- 3D game designers: In order to build immersive 3D gaming experiences that allow players to have a new way of engaging with video games, there is required the skills of 3D game designers. Nowadays, the average salary of these professionals is around $78,000 in the US.
- AR and VR software Engineers: Jobs related to virtual reality and augmented reality are really popular on the market, with a demand that increased by 1,400% in 2019 alone. With the quick evolution of the metaverse, having skills and knowledge of AR and VR technologies will be vital to break into this great opportunity.
- Hardware Engineers: Engineers with knowledge of coding are indeed going to be key in the building of the metaverse. However, it will also require the enhancement of hardware such as headsets, wearables, sensors, and virtual glasses, among others. This is why having professionals with knowledge of making this hardware lightweight, comfortable, wireless, and overall effective, is going to be valued.
- Metaverse marketing specialist: The metaverse requires game-changing Marketing pioneers that can create immersive, creative, and effective campaigns. This is what will allow the creation of unique and full-scale user experiences so people are tempted to purchase and use a product or service without having to leave this virtual world.
How to get a job in the metaverse
The Metaverse is undoubtedly the next career path so landing a job there will be a great opportunity to grasp. But, there are some things you must consider in order to get that job in the metaverse:
- Grow your visibility by building your brand: Once you have your skill set, you need to build your portfolio and look for metaverse job opportunities. One way to gain recognition in the industry is showing your interest through writing articles about the Metaverse and publishing them in Forbes or other recognized platforms that are in your jurisdiction.
- Earn money in the metaverse: For instance, designers and architects are developing 3D buildings in the metaverse while gaining money, there are even gamers that are earning money while doing what they love most, which is to play. Therefore, you can learn to build your space in the metaverse and earn money while doing it.
Methods of payment: cryptocurrencies
Some companies attract talents by offering remote working, one-to-one mentoring, and sing-on bonuses, among others.
But, there are also companies paying in bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies,a new attractive and exciting way to earn money for those who have a long-term vision and are willing to take risks.
At the end of the day, having payments incryptocurrenciesis not without risk because of the high volatility they are subjected to.
The crypto payroll in metaverses is also being applied. As mentioned before, the metaverse is based on blockchain which allows streamlining payments in crypto and NFT being traded. For instance, in G4AL we offer our gamers the possibility to earn NFT while playing andconvert those in-game digital assets into real moneythrough crypto.
This is a different way to generate investment, so some people may be hesitant to engage with it. However, the growth of the metaverse is constant and fast-paced, meaning that entering into this new way to do things, including earning money, will bring you ahead in the game and be part of this thrilling industry.
¿Would you like to earn money while playing games in thrilling game metaverses?Check out our games, each one offering a different and unique gaming experience but all of them allow you to gain and even create your own NFTs.